FlightComputer: An x86 running Linux 2.4.18, the FC is the core of the avionics system.
CAN nodes: The avionics system uses the Controller Area Network (CAN) bus, a 1 Mbps serial multi-master bus, to communicate between the FC and the various nodes. Roughly, each sensor and actuator gets it's own CAN node:
- Generic PIC/SPS front end: the generic PIC, SPS, CAN and ICD2 front end for all nodes
- Amateur TV System: Broadcasts NTSC video with overlay at 1.25 GHz.
- Avionics Power System: power switches, battery and bus monitoring
- GPS: 12 Channel GPS receiver
- Inertial Measurement Unit: inertial sensors (also pressure and temperature sensors)
- Magnetometer: 3D sensing of the Earth's magnetic field
- Recovery Node: Battery backed up 2m radio receiver and pyrotechnic actuators
Avionics Module: the hardware that holds everything together
- Launch Tower Computer (LTC): A Linux-based x86 PC104 stack with Lucent Orinoco 802.11b card and CAN.
- 24dBi 2.4GHz 802.11b parabolic dish antenna ("BBQ" grill antenna).
- Launch Tower Relay (LTR) board: PIC18F458-based CAN node with four relays and some analog sampling.
- RocketReady Relay (RRR) board: PIC18F458-based board which provides rocketready relay interlock in firing chain.
- Launch Igniter Circuit: igniter circuit for launch igniter.
- Umbilical cord: Connects LV2 to the electronics box. Provides shore power, includes rocketready relay interlock.
- Launch Tower Power System:Solar array, charge controller, and battery
- Log of the hard-to-find parts of the avionics system.
PicCore: An open source application framework in C for the Microchip PIC18Fxxx
LV2 CAN Node Firmware:
- CanBusIDs list the data packets for the LV2 CAN bus.
- CanBusUtilization lists the current bandwidth usage of the CAN bus.
- CanDeviceBusTimings for the Philips SJA1000 & Intel 82527 protocol chips.
- CanDatasheets for datasheets, specifications and app notes.
- CanBusLinks for the Controller Area Network Bus.
- RocketNames: Project wide naming conventions for systems, schematics, etc.
- AvionicsSVNAccess: getting access to the Avionics software itself
- SjaCanTestNode: PIC16F877/SJA1000 based CAN node for testing the FC/LTC
- CANtalope CAN protocol monitor.
- EagleCad: Cadsoft's EAGLE schematic capture/PCB CAD program
- LPKF 91 router information
|2005-08-18||Packing up over four years worth of work: Avionics System is ready to go!|
|2004-06-09-avionics||APS (Avionics Power System) design: Li Ion battery charger choice|
|2004-05-30||Critical path scheduling and APS|
|2003-10-13||Power measurements on each component of the avionics system.|
|2003-10-07||What's next, timelines, task lists|
|2003-08-26||To do list, what's critical|
|2003-07-22||Non-PDX tasks, Protocols, LTC, Rocketview API, Routers|
|2003-06-24||Things to do by August 22nd; Try #6 on Flight Computer State Machine|
|2003-06-10||CPA propagation tests at xerox; APS lives!|
|2003-03-11||Recovery node design review. Files attached.|
|2003-01-28||Workshop on EAGLE PCB CAD tool.|
|2003-01-07||5/4/2003 is freeze and launch call. 1/26 kickoff meeting scheduled.|
|2002-11-17||James brain dumps FC infrastructure. FC network setup info. First hack at the whole PSAS 802.11b network architecture.|
|2002-10-01||Lecture on the Linux kernel. Beer. Make CAN nodes more hardware like. Create a software team.|
|2002-09-22||Launch of LV2!|
|2002-09-19||Tuning 1.3GHz and 2.4GHz helical antennas @ the PSU microwave lab.|
|2002-09-10||Hardware work @ Andrew's. Software @ FAB CS lounge: telemetry client works.|
|2002-09-08||ATV distro board and PicCore @ Andrew's. Software @ FAB CS lounge.|
|2002-08-27||GPS CAN node done. Clementine determined to be broken.|
|2002-08-25||ATV hardware & distro board designed. Jupiter boards programmed. Ate pizza.|
|2002-08-20||PicCore lecture. James starts hacking FC software together.|
|2002-08-18||Larry goes it alone working on 2m radio interface.|
|2002-08-13||Overview of what needs to be done. James' notes on FC update.|
|2002-08-11||Paul and Andrew discuss GPS node processing.|
|2002-08-06||ATV and FC node work.|
|2002-07-21||More AvionicsToDoList. Got LV1b 2m receiver to work, and tested it.|
|2002-07-07||Getting CAN nodes working w/PicCore.|
|2002-06-25||Paul and Nate's CAN node dev system finally up and running.|
|2002-06-18||Project timeline until the schedule 8/3 launch.|
|2002-05-28||James hacks away on FC, Andrew on the beginnings of PicCore.|
|2001-12-11||Twiki lesson, planning for next launch.|
|2001-12-04||OGI Lecture: Intro to Extreme Programming (XP)|
|2001-08-22||Flight computer (MOPS520) boots off floppy!|
|2001-06-27||Meeting with Jim Binkly of PSU CS on 802.11b.|