Workshop Notes Sun 16 Dec 2001
James convened a work party at his home, accompanied with food and homebrew beer and tea.
Attendees: Bart, Tim, Paul, James, Jamey, Larry
- Bart suggested that we should work toward the following rough dates:
|Mar 18||HW Freeze|
|Apr 01||SW Freeze|
|Apr 01||Logistics plan complete|
|Apr 15||Launch date|
Logistics (complete plan Apr 1)
- Safety plan
- Launch (operations) checklist
- Support equipment checklist (incl. food, tents, etc.)
- Responsibility assignments
Software (complete April 1)
- LV1b code could be dissected - Functional decomposition:
- Ground control & Tower
- Jamey - wants to reuse stuff from LV1
- New stuff 802.11 rocket link
- Complete requirements spec needed
- Design completion & implementation completion
- Bart can assist CS300
- ACTION: Larry write a software objectives document
- ACTION: Larry work on (high-level) software design document.
- Flight Computer
- Operating system
- application code
- CAN driver
- CAN demuxer
- Protocol stack
- CAN Nodes
- Software (Paul)
- Pyro, Uplink, GPS, IMU, Umbilical, Battery, ATV, Telemetry
- Functional requirements specifications
- down in one piece, communications
- Functional sw life cycle decomposition
- Larry volunteered as general software manager
- ACTION: Larry will provide a task breakdown & schedule for software. James will assist.
- Power systems are an interest: Ground & Rocket
- Tim says proposal to uncase a laptop battery, or primary lithium
- James observes this is a risk reduction activity, need to load the work in the front of the schedule. Should select technology.
- ACTION: Tim & Andrew determine if rechargable doable by Feb 11, otherwise we bail to primary lithium
- Radio hardware: Rocket, Ground, Tower
- What's Glenn's availability? Who knows?
- Need Andrew & Glenn to provide input
- Risk: does 802.11 work, high speeds & high altitude
- Would like to be able to fall back to simpler slower radio earlier in the project
- Can we test and select a technology by Jan 14?
- FC is specced and seems adequate
- CAN nodes seem to be well-understood technology & tasks
- are we launching others ? power &needs
- Mounting hardware, cabling
- Tim says HW team will spec a card cage
- Andrew and Tim both busy at the moment
- What bus? phy
- The evil rat's nest
- ACTION: Andrew ask Matt Rupert whether he wants to be involved
- Shake-n-bake time available said Andrew * Ground control: Tower, Ground
- Jamey says current thing works okay, not much has changed
- Bart says let's replace the hoorible bridge w/wireless
- Want a PROJECT laptop instead.
- Jamey can manage this
- Make cord be farther away from the wire -- Tim
- Bart will review safety interlocks
- Make sure VCR gets turned on this time
- Systems requirements needed
- lots of things cross over --
- James can take systems requirements and schedule things
- last launch interlock (hw, safety)
- vcr thing
- battery vs. shore power things
- mission requirements (objectives?)
- goals, objectives, evaluation criteria
- airframe stability
- ask andrew for an outline (bryan, matt)
- Bart - we need more hardware people
- Amy has chemistry... hmmm, find a way to have her contribute
- Tim says Steve?!? recruitable
- Ask Andrew to recruit more help -- grad students? Perhaps his highest priority
- James - post-tek folks? ex: switch to turn on/off vcr
- Tim - ex: autonomous recovery project?
- Critical-path stuff
- Bart - this needs to be mostly a psu club
- At this point, need Larry, Jamey to come with thier documents and add meat to the skeleton.
- James to take on system-level and top-level stuff, especially edge cases
- Bart is safety king, needs to come up with his stuff and documents
- fire extinguishers, hard hats, headsup times, lawndart plan
Flight sequencing model
- Does this belong at mission requirements or sw requirements or not
- Need to recruit Ray to find out what we can learn from rocket industry
- We want to do things the right way.. not necessary amateur or industry
- Tim observes the flight state maps to the fault tree
- it couples to avionics, safety, and other stuff
- Jamey asked for it, Andrew refused (it's ugly)
- Bart says cough it up, fuzzball
- Actually this came from Tim's thing, then with Andrew then LV1, LV1b...
What else can we do?
- Simulate and model everything? Industrial. Costly.
- Can we simulate can-bus in software? Maybe Jamey can get an ACM person.
- Jamey deliver us a head for January.
- April? Should have backup plan if we can't go with Tripoli.. say 4 weeks after.
- A bigger motor could give us a reason for aNOTHER launch. Is it an objective? Could oregon do a >15K foot launch?
Ask Ray to get in touch with senators, representatives to get military contacts to launch in a MOA. Permissions and support (chasing rockets)
We need to understand airframe team stuff... rate of descent, so we know about site selection.
- Drafts of objectives & specifications by January 14th... to reasonable level of detail.