PSAS/ news/ 2010-05-23 - Planned launch of LV2.3 **scrubbed** due to weather.

Update 2010-05-20

Due to the NOAA weather forecast of "mostly cloudy" on Sunday, we're officially scrubbing the May 23rd launch of LV2.3. We're rescheduling for June 27th; more news on this next week.


The launch of Launch Vehicle No. 2.3 (LV2's third airframe) with roll control is taking place at Oregon Rocketry's "Spring Thunder" launch. We'll be launch on Sunday May 23rd between 12:00pm and 3:00pm on an "N2000W" motor which should loft us to above 20,000 ft. We're planning on flying an active Roll Control module on this flight, which will actively correct the rocket's roll rate and position.

  1. Update 2010-05-20
  2. Summary
  3. Launchsite
  4. Timeline
  5. Transportation
  6. Leaving on Saturday morning
  7. Leaving Sunday morning
  8. Lodging
  9. Food
  10. Weather
  11. TO BRING
  12. Roles


South of Brothers, Oregon at Oregon Rocketry's flight line (Click here for a map of coordinates +43.79942 -120.65086). For more explicit directions, see Oregon Rocketry's directions page.


Time Date Activities
10:00am - 3:00pm Sunday 5/16 GSE and rocket prep at Tim's house. Andrew bring's tents.
7:00pm - 10:00pm Tuesday 5/18 Final go/no-go decision on launch (depends on rocket and weather).
TBD Friday 5/21 Inventory components, go over checklists, last minute details.
8:00am Saturday 5/22 Meet at Tim's house in Tigard, and pack up remaining rocketry supplies. Go over final checklists.
10:00am - 2:30pm Saturday 5/22 Drive to Brothers, Oregon launch site (4.5 hour drive).
3:00pm - 7:00pm Saturday 5/22 Set up in Brothers. Watch other rocket flights. TRA members fly L1 and L2 certification flights.
Evening Saturday 5/22 Final prep, marshmallow roast, star viewing.
8:00am - 12:00pm Sunday 5/23 Final prep, watch other rocket launches.
12:00pm - 2:00pm Sunday 5/23 Target time for launch of LV2.
2:00pm - 4:00pm Sunday 5/23 Recovery LV2, pack up, watch other launches.
4:00pm - Evening Sunday 5/23 Dinner in Bend, return to Portland (4.5 hour drive)


Who's going, when, and what car. Use this space for coordinating rides.

Leaving on Saturday morning

Leaving Sunday morning




TBD! If it's scheduled for thunder storms, we'll scrub. Else, and most likely, it'll be sunny to partly sunny. Here's the current weather forcast for that area.



(see our glossary and acronym pages for help)

Other stuff: