We finally settled on the YDI ampplifier below; they have very nice LNA's on the RX end and the folks at YDI were very helpdul. We picked up three: one for the ground, one for the rocket (which we removed from its case to save weight, which is not recommended) and one spare.
Note that the ARRL site has much better and more up-to-date information on bidirectional amplifiers ("BDA"s, according to the ARRL): http://www.arrl.org/hsmm/links.html
Here's some old (Summer 2001) the notes from our decision making:
http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/wireless/appendixD.html - Homebrew!!
Teletronics - http://www.teletronics.com/
- 1W = $412 ($2k for the 5W version)
- 12V ok.
- Jamal x24 General Manager
- $520 - $480 - lowest noise figure available, 900mW 1dB compression point.
- Great guy - Jerry Roski (k3mz3)
- Talked with Darrel - talked to Michael Young, owner and designer
- Can't use SMA connectors, but can take out of box and solder connectors on
- Can take 4 way splitter out of box.
- HyperAmp 1W - http://www.hyperlinktech.com/html/products/ha2401dx_agc1000.html
- $316 (list $355) @ 2, 4 way splitter $140 ($175 list)
|Rcvr Noise||3.5dB||< 1.5dB||3.5dB||3.5dB|
|Tmtr Gain||24dB gain||10dB (0.5W RF output)||16dB||1W (30dBm)|
|Tmtr Noise||+/-1db over 2.4-2.5GHz (1dB compression = 1.4W)||900mW 1dB compression||+/1dB over Freq.||Unknown|
|Power in||9V @ 1.2A||13.8V (12V min)||11 to 14VDC @ 650ma (400ma avg)||"12v"|
|Dim.s||4.5 x 3.0 x 1.2||5 x 2.75 x 4||4.42 x 2.40 x 1.22||4.6 x 2.6 x 1.7|
|Weight||0.6lb||~2lbs||1.5 lb. with U-bolts||~3lbs|